Thanks for Visiting my blog...come again soon!!!!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Nauvoo Quilt

I Can't believe I'm adding another posting in the month of February...
I just had to get this quilt, (I call it a blanket quilts because it's light weight but it's a quilt never the less)...posted
Last March my husband and I went on a Mission to Nauvoo Illinois, which is a little town of 1100 people on the East side of the Mississippi River...We were there for 6 months...My husband worked main with the horses and drove the wagon and carriage touring the town and country side, showing the visitors what Nauvoo looked like in the 1840s... I gave tours to the visitors of the different homes and businesses that were there in the 1840s and shared the stories of how the people lived and how the town grew to 20,000 during the time period they were there...A total of 7 years...
So when we were done with our day jobs...in the evening we did live performances for the visitors...We had 3 shows going on every evening accept Sunday...We as Seniors performance 4 nights a week..We had 3 different casts for the seniors...2 nights a week we performed 2 shows a night because there were so many people there visiting...Summer is a very busy time there in Nauvoo...all this is free to the public...no cost other than your lodging and food... Click on this website and check it out...it's a wonderful place to visit...www.historicnauvoo.net 
So now that you have a little history I'll move on to my quilt....We didn't have TV to watch and I like to keep my hands busy...so I when shopping (we had one day a week to shop, clean, and prepare for the next week,our day was Wednesday...)
I visited Hobby Lobby which was 45 miles from where we were living...and I found this cross stitch pattern of quilt squares...fell in love with the pattern...so I bought a set of 12 squares...and with my off time and sometimes at the homes were were showing we weren't busy so I'd work on my squares...needless to say I didn't finish the quilt squares while there.  It has taken me 5 months longer to complete all the squares and to put the quilt together...and quilt it all...
So this is the finished product...just got it completed this past week...


This quilt is a real treasure to me and I'll be hanging on to it...all is hand stitched except for sewing the seams to each square and adding the binding...I didn't use a frame to quilt it either...first time trying that...and it wasn't bad...












Another project done...I still have one more quilt like this one (different design) to put together...all hand work again...I've got all the squares done now to put it together...may wait until next winter...however, I love to see the finished product...So back to the drawing board...still have a line up of projects I'm working on and need to finish...Hope to be back on my blog in the months to come...til another time...it's good to check in once in a while....bye for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment